Director of Engineering, Growth MarketingMountain View, California Job ID: 2151107
We are looking for people who are passionate about solving complex real-world problems, building world-class solutions, and benefitting millions of lives. At Coupang, developers learn from one another—we share knowledge and spur each other on to come up with great ideas—and move extremely fast to create profound impact together. You will also have the opportunity to tackle large-scale challenges that arise as we grow. This includes building in-house technology, innovating mobile architecture, and advancing possibilities with machine learning and deep learning. With you, we will build a world where our customers ask, “How did we ever live without Coupang?”
- Team Player
- Problem Solver
Coupang is a global e-commerce leader and Korea’s largest consumer internet company. Our mission is to create a world in which our customers ask, ‘How did I ever live without Coupang?’ We place our customers first and offer them the best possible prices and product selection within a highly convenient and personalized shopping environment. We are the only company in Korea that has ever raised more than $1B USD in funding. As the largest unicorn in Korea, we have received more than $3.4B in funds from notable investors like Softbank’s Vision Fund, BlackRock, and Sequoia Capital. Korea is currently the 5th largest e-commerce market in the world at $80B; expected to increase to $146B by 2023, becoming the 3rd largest market in the world following China and the US. Coupang delivers over two million parcels each day to customers across South Korea, and dominates the marketplace because of our foundation focused on the “last mile” delivery to the customer. We are continually looking for passionate builders who can work with us to fulfill our goals.
In Growth Engineering, our goal is to increase the number of transacting Customers while growing their frequency and lifetime value. We build core platforms and services that power Coupang’s growth. Various platforms under our portfolio include Search Advertising Platform, Affiliate Platform, Display targeting & re-targeting Platform, CRM, Audience Platform, Push Marketing Platform, and other core marketing services for landing, tracking & attribution. We leverage big data, NoSQL, analytics, real-time processing and Machine Learning to build mission-critical and highly scalable services that are reliable 24/7.
At Coupang, a Software Engineering Leader owns leading a talented and diverse engineering organization working on projects to improve the lives of our customers. You will draw from your strong technical and people leadership background to build and lead a team of innovative and curious problem solvers. As an Engineering leader, you will provide “hands-on” technical leadership to solve complex problems while making sound architecture and design trade-offs that balance strategic and tactical plans. You will establish technical standards, methodologies and engineering best practices that drive engineering excellence and quality throughout the entire product lifecycle.
To succeed in this role, the ideal candidate will be “customer-centric” focused to conceive products/features that matter to customers and have deep technical expertise to attract top engineering talent to architect and develop highly scalable products. This is an exceptional opportunity to drive Coupang’s growth and create a world where our customers ask, ‘How did I ever live without Coupang?’
- Provide leadership and technical direction to Growth Engineering organization and ensure that our engineers are working on building scalable and fault-tolerant systems
- Hire the best leaders and experienced individual contributors to continue to build a diverse and balanced team
- Engage with senior leadership and product owner(s) in developing and executing technical strategy and product roadmap ensuring scalability and simplicity
- Prioritize and plan the projects and features sponsored by senior leadership, stakeholders and strategically important tech initiatives
- Refine and set the vision for the overall architecture plan and application of best practice architecture, design patterns and ongoing simplification of the system landscape
- Foster a culture that continuously innovates through frequent product iterations (Agile/Scrum) and help the team develop their Agile practices further
- Develop, mentor, and coach managers and engineers on career development and professional growth
- Own definition, measurement, and reporting of operational metrics
- Establish and run the operational support for your team’s software
- Communicate clearly and concisely with the team members, peers and leadership team
- Bachelor/Master/PhD in Computer Science or Engineering, or related field
- 10+ years of industry experience of increasing responsibility leading engineering teams
- 5+ years of experience in software development in Object-Oriented development environment
- 7+ years of experience in managing software development with hands-on architectural experience in delivering innovative products in the relevant space
- Demonstrated experience in creating a vision, influencing cross-functionally and driving a technology organization to meet ambitious goals
- S/he must be a visionary leader with deep technology expertise who can motivate diverse professionals to succeed in a highly competitive market, keeping the team focused on breakthrough, transformational strategies and tactics to best leverage the resources of a growing company
- Exceptional abilities to attract, recruit, retain and scale a high-performance engineering organization
- Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive. High on bias for action
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working closely with global distributed teams
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, transgender status), national origin, age, disability, medical condition, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, marital status, military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities, affiliations, citizenship, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Senior Software Engineer
- Software Engineering Manager
- Technical Program Manager
- Product Manager (Product Owner)
- Tech Recruiter
Benefits and Rewards
Our mission is global
Coupang is a global business with offices in Seoul, Shanghai, Beijing, Silicon Valley, Seattle and Los Angeles.
Our Korea office is located in downtown Seoul near Lotte World Hotel and Lotte World Mall.
Our office in Shanghai is conveniently situated near to restaurants and gyms, as well as to the Evergreen Hotel and the Chamtime Square Shopping Mall.
Our Beijing office is located in One Indigo, a Grade A-listed office tower. From our space on the 12th floor, you can take in expansive views of Indigo Park, the Ba River and the Beijing skyline. We are conveniently situated a few steps away from the Indigo Shopping Mall, and parking is easily available.
Mountain View, United States
Our Mountain View office is located in the Silicon Valley area across from the NASA Ames Research and Visitor Center.
Seattle, United States
Our Seattle office can be found in the heart of downtown Seattle near restaurants and tourist attractions such as the Pike Place Market.
Los Angeles, United States
Our office in Los Angeles is located in the Riverside area right next to the Sycamore Canyon Wilderness Park.