Head of Global Program & Privacy Engineering
Mountain View, United States
Coupang is seeking an experienced privacy professional to join its Privacy Organization. This role will be responsible for leading the Privacy Global Program Team and for overseeing the development and operation of Coupang’s global privacy program. The successful candidate must articulate and execute a strategic vision for Coupang’s global privacy program across the enterprise, take ownership of program issues and risks, and effectively drive projects and initiatives to completion. Qualities required for this role include exceptional analytical abilities, excellent stakeholder management, a practical approach to problem solving and risk management, and a strong desire to enable business objectives while simultaneously managing privacy risks.
This role will report to, and work closely with, Coupang’s Chief Privacy Officer (CPO).
What you will do
- Articulate and execute a strategic vision for Coupang’s global privacy program across the enterprise.
- Collaborate with the CPO and with business and risk leaders to ensure the global privacy program aligns with Coupang’s broader vision and strategic objectives including planned business expansion.
- Lead the build out of the Privacy Global Program Team staff.
- Develop benchmarks for privacy program requirements based on international standards and best practices and enhance and recalibrate Coupang’s existing privacy program to align with such benchmarks.
- Partner closely with regional privacy teams to support the implementation (and where necessary localization) of the global privacy program.
- Develop practical guidance, processes, and operational/technical controls to support privacy by design and privacy engineering and integrate such processes/controls into business development and system development activities.
- Lead the development and operation of monitoring and reporting routines including the creation of KRIs and KPIs.
- Monitor and report on international trends in privacy laws and regulations, industry best practices and standards, and emerging issues and risks.
- Help to champion a “culture of privacy” at Coupang, a collective understanding across the enterprise that privacy rights must be respected and that all staff bear responsibility for ensuring such protection.
- 10+ years of experience managing privacy risks and/or performing privacy program development in the technology or banking industry.
- Strong technical and practical knowledge of international privacy and data protection laws and regulations.
- Superb drafting skills with ability to articulate complex concepts and requirements in a manner that is clear, concise, and comprehensible.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving capabilities with ability to systematically assess complex issues and formulate practical and effective solutions.
- Able to consistently deliver creative, thoughtful, and business-orientated results that appropriately balance growth and risk in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment.
- Professional degree such as law or engineering.
- Strong background in privacy by design/privacy engineering.
- Experience with ISO, NIST, APEC privacy standards.
- Knowledge of the privacy laws , Taiwan, and/or Japan would be an asset but is not required.
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to actual or perceived race (including traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hair styles), color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, ,ancestry, national origin (including language use restrictions), age (40 and over), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, family status (including but not limited to marital or domestic partnership status), military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities or affiliations, ancestry, citizenship, family and medical leave status, status as a victim of any violent crime, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application of recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.