Principal Machine Learning Engineer (Search Recommendation & Personalization)Mountain View, California Job ID: 2429196
We are looking for people who are passionate about solving complex real-world problems, building world-class solutions, and benefitting millions of lives. At Coupang, developers learn from one another—we share knowledge and spur each other on to come up with great ideas—and move extremely fast to create profound impact together. You will also have the opportunity to tackle large-scale challenges that arise as we grow. This includes building in-house technology, innovating mobile architecture, and advancing possibilities with machine learning and deep learning. With you, we will build a world where our customers ask, “How did we ever live without Coupang?”
- Team Player
- Problem Solver
Coupang is reimagining the shopping experience with the goal of wowing each customer from the instant they open the Coupang app to the moment an order is delivered to their door.
Powered by an outstanding end-to-end e-commerce and logistics network and a fanatical culture of customer centricity, Coupang has broken tradeoffs around speed, selection and price. Today, we provide exceedingly fast shipping speeds on millions of items including fresh groceries, delivered within hours nationwide, 365 days a year.
We are doing this for millions of consumers in Korea. Korea is home to one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce opportunities anywhere in the world.
As our Principal Software Engineer/Applied Machine Learning Engineer for Recommendations, you will be responsible for developing, designing the new features and improve existing features for many product areas we own.
Recommendation team is responsible for Coupang’s product recommendation, personalized gateway and product review quality. Product recommendation is a fast-growing area and we are continuously improving recommendation quality to help more and more customers find the best products for them. We have also just started investing in personalized Gateway, aiming to build one of the best e-commerce discovery experiences. The team launched the first Learning to Rank platform in Coupang. We use state of the art Machine Learning and Deep Learning technologies, and we continuously innovate and build highly scalable systems to support the growing business and customer engagement.
What you will do
- Develop new Machine Learning features
- Develop models to create new recommendation algorithm or improve existing algorithms
- Mine vast amount of data to gain insights from customer behavior
- Create data jobs to generate Machine Learning features; build and train new models; run experiments to validate and launch new models
- Responsible for the production system running Machine Learning models
- Own the full practical Machine Learning process end to end
- 8+ years experience working with large-scale, complex datasets to create and optimize machine learning models
- Track record of diving into data to discover hidden patterns and solving problems with data science
- Fast paced self-learner with proven record of launching successful features and improving business metrics
- Write robust and efficient code using Java, Python etc with unit and integration tests
- Understand production environment, continuous build, monitoring and alerting. Able to dive deep to debug and resolve usual production issues.
- Master degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or related science majors, Ph.D. strongly preferred
- Track record of diving into data to discover hidden patterns and solving operational problems with data science
- Practical understanding and hands-on experience with the following:
- Supervised learning methods (linear and logistic regression, generalized linear models, decision trees, random forests, support vector machines, neural networks / deep learning, etc.).
- Unsupervised learning methods (K-means, hierarchical clustering)
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, transgender status), national origin, age, disability, medical condition, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, marital status, military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities, affiliations, citizenship, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Senior Software Engineer
- Software Engineering Manager
- Technical Program Manager
- Product Manager (Product Owner)
- Tech Recruiter
Benefits and Rewards
Our mission is global
Coupang is a global business with offices in Seoul, Shanghai, Beijing, Silicon Valley, Seattle and Los Angeles.
Our Korea office is located in downtown Seoul near Lotte World Hotel and Lotte World Mall.
Our office in Shanghai is conveniently situated near to restaurants and gyms, as well as to the Evergreen Hotel and the Chamtime Square Shopping Mall.
Our Beijing office is located in One Indigo, a Grade A-listed office tower. From our space on the 12th floor, you can take in expansive views of Indigo Park, the Ba River and the Beijing skyline. We are conveniently situated a few steps away from the Indigo Shopping Mall, and parking is easily available.
Mountain View, United States
Our Mountain View office is located in the Silicon Valley area across from the NASA Ames Research and Visitor Center.
Seattle, United States
Our Seattle office can be found in the heart of downtown Seattle near restaurants and tourist attractions such as the Pike Place Market.
Los Angeles, United States
Our office in Los Angeles is located in the Riverside area right next to the Sycamore Canyon Wilderness Park.