Sr. Principal Engineer/Architect - Silicon ValleyMountain View, California Job ID: 2152435
We are looking for people who are passionate about solving complex real-world problems, building world-class solutions, and benefitting millions of lives. At Coupang, developers learn from one another—we share knowledge and spur each other on to come up with great ideas—and move extremely fast to create profound impact together. You will also have the opportunity to tackle large-scale challenges that arise as we grow. This includes building in-house technology, innovating mobile architecture, and advancing possibilities with machine learning and deep learning. With you, we will build a world where our customers ask, “How did we ever live without Coupang?”
- Team Player
- Problem Solver
Coupang is a global e-commerce leader and Korea’s largest consumer internet company. Our mission is to create a world in which our customers ask, ‘How did I ever live without Coupang?’ We place our customers first and offer them the best possible prices and product selection within a highly convenient and personalized shopping environment. We are the only company in Korea that has ever raised more than $1B USD in funding. As the largest unicorn in Korea, we have received more than $3.4B in funds from notable investors like Softbank’s Vision Fund, BlackRock, and Sequoia Capital. Korea is currently the 5th largest e-commerce market in the world at $80B; expected to increase to $146B by 2023, becoming the 3rd largest market in the world following China and the US. Coupang delivers over two million parcels each day to customers across South Korea, and dominates the marketplace because of our foundation focused on the “last mile” delivery to the customer. We are continually looking for passionate builders who can work with us to fulfill our goals.
In Growth Engineering, our goal is to increase the number of transacting Customers while growing their frequency and lifetime value. We build core platforms and services that power Coupang’s growth. Various platforms under our portfolio include Search Advertising Platform, Affiliate Platform, Display targeting & re-targeting Platform, CRM, Audience Platform, Push Marketing Platform, and other core marketing services for landing, tracking & attribution. We leverage big data, NoSQL, analytics, real-time processing and Machine Learning to build mission-critical and highly scalable services that are reliable 24/7.
As our Sr. Principal Engineer/Architect for Growth Engineering, you will be responsible for engineering excellence of all of our platforms & services. You will drive the strategic technical roadmap partnering with Engineering Managers and Product Owners. As an Engineering leader, you will provide “hands-on” technical leadership to solve complex problems while making sound architecture and design trade-offs that balance strategic and tactical plans. You will establish technical standards, methodologies and engineering best practices that drive engineering excellence and quality throughout the entire product lifecycle. This is an exceptional opportunity to drive Coupang’s growth and create a world where our customers ask, ‘How did I ever live without Coupang?’
- Provide technical leadership and direction to Growth Engineering organization and ensure that our engineers are working on building scalable and fault-tolerant systems
- Engage with senior leadership and product owner(s) in developing and executing technical strategy and roadmap ensuring scalability and simplicity
- Refine and set the vision for the overall architecture plan and application of best practice architecture, design patterns and ongoing simplification of the system landscape
- Work with different teams on technical architecture, design and development to ensure delivery
- Develop, mentor, and coach engineers on architecture, design and engineering best practices
- Communicate clearly and concisely with the team members, peers and leadership team
- Own definition, measurement, and reporting of engineering and system metrics
- Bachelor/Master/PhD in Computer Science or Engineering, or related field
- 10+ years of industry experience building scalable cloud products
- 7+ years of experience in software development technical leadership with hands-on architecture and design experience in delivering innovative products
- Proven track record of building/re-architecting large distributed systems
- Solid technical expertise and experience in Java development, big data technologies, SQL & No-SQL data stores, distributed systems, messaging services, caches and performance tuning
- Experience architecting and designing at-scale e-commerce products a big plus
- Experience working closely with global distributed teams
- Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive. High on bias for action
- Strong analytical skills with excellent problem-solving abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Senior Software Engineer
- Software Engineering Manager
- Technical Program Manager
- Product Manager (Product Owner)
- Tech Recruiter
Benefits and Rewards
Our mission is global
Coupang is a global business with offices in Seoul, Shanghai, Beijing, Silicon Valley, Seattle and Los Angeles.
Our Korea office is located in downtown Seoul near Lotte World Hotel and Lotte World Mall.
Our office in Shanghai is conveniently situated near to restaurants and gyms, as well as to the Evergreen Hotel and the Chamtime Square Shopping Mall.
Our Beijing office is located in One Indigo, a Grade A-listed office tower. From our space on the 12th floor, you can take in expansive views of Indigo Park, the Ba River and the Beijing skyline. We are conveniently situated a few steps away from the Indigo Shopping Mall, and parking is easily available.
Mountain View, United States
Our Mountain View office is located in the Silicon Valley area across from the NASA Ames Research and Visitor Center.
Seattle, United States
Our Seattle office can be found in the heart of downtown Seattle near restaurants and tourist attractions such as the Pike Place Market.
Los Angeles, United States
Our office in Los Angeles is located in the Riverside area right next to the Sycamore Canyon Wilderness Park.