Staff Software Engineer, Back-end (Experiment Platform)Mountain View, California Job ID: 3417876
We are looking for people who are passionate about solving complex real-world problems, building world-class solutions, and benefitting millions of lives. At Coupang, developers learn from one another—we share knowledge and spur each other on to come up with great ideas—and move extremely fast to create profound impact together. You will also have the opportunity to tackle large-scale challenges that arise as we grow. This includes building in-house technology, innovating mobile architecture, and advancing possibilities with machine learning and deep learning. With you, we will build a world where our customers ask, “How did we ever live without Coupang?”
- Team Player
- Problem Solver
Coupang is reimagining the shopping experience with the goal of wowing each customer from the instant they open the Coupang app to the moment an order is delivered to their door.
Powered by an outstanding end-to-end e-commerce and logistics network and a fanatical culture of customer centricity, Coupang has broken tradeoffs around speed, selection and price. Today, we provide exceedingly fast shipping speeds on millions of items including fresh groceries, delivered within hours nationwide, 365 days a year.
We are doing this for millions of consumers in Korea. Korea is home to one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce opportunities anywhere in the world.
As a Software Engineer for the Experiment Platform team, you will be responsible for the design, development, and maintenance of the experimentation platform and data infrastructure that enables data-driven decision-making for Coupang. In this role, you will build back-end services, support data pipelines which process billions of logs and terabytes of data each day and making impact in providing UI for experimentation setup and data visualization. At this scale, you will need to ensure fault tolerance and robustness to deliver accurate results on time.
What You Will Do
- Design and implement reliable data pipelines using modern distributed processing technologies such as Spark, Hive
- Build seamless user experience to support experimentations and data-driven decisions across Coupang
- Review designs and code with the team to ensure highest quality and enforce industry best practices
- Develop best practices and frameworks for unit, functional and integration tests for our team's test coverage and automation
- Guide data users (data scientists, BAs, etc.) on best practices to use data platforms and tools efficiently
- BS or advanced degree in Computer Science, or related technical field
- 6+ years of experience in building software and solutions
- Experience in building and owning critical user-facing platform and corresponding backend data systems
- Experience in one or more programming languages such as Java, Scala, Python, Go or Kotlin
- Experience in distributed processing using EMR, Spark, Hive, or other big data frameworks
- Solid fundamentals in OO design, data structures, and algorithms
- Experience with Cloud Computing platforms and understanding of scaling and reliability issues
- Experience in designing, building, and maintaining highly scalable data pipelines and platforms
- Experience in Stream-processing systems (Kafka, Storm, Spark-Streaming or equivalent) is a plus
- Familiarity with workflow or orchestration frameworks, open-source tools like Airflow and Luigi or commercial enterprise tools
- Knowledge of container services (Docker/Kubernetes)
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, transgender status), national origin, age, disability, medical condition, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, marital status, military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities, affiliations, citizenship, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com
- Senior Software Engineer
- Software Engineering Manager
- Technical Program Manager
- Product Manager (Product Owner)
- Tech Recruiter
Benefits and Rewards
Our mission is global
Coupang is a global business with offices in Seoul, Shanghai, Beijing, Silicon Valley, Seattle and Los Angeles.
Our Korea office is located in downtown Seoul near Lotte World Hotel and Lotte World Mall.
Our office in Shanghai is conveniently situated near to restaurants and gyms, as well as to the Evergreen Hotel and the Chamtime Square Shopping Mall.
Our Beijing office is located in One Indigo, a Grade A-listed office tower. From our space on the 12th floor, you can take in expansive views of Indigo Park, the Ba River and the Beijing skyline. We are conveniently situated a few steps away from the Indigo Shopping Mall, and parking is easily available.
Mountain View, United States
Our Mountain View office is located in the Silicon Valley area across from the NASA Ames Research and Visitor Center.
Seattle, United States
Our Seattle office can be found in the heart of downtown Seattle near restaurants and tourist attractions such as the Pike Place Market.
Los Angeles, United States
Our office in Los Angeles is located in the Riverside area right next to the Sycamore Canyon Wilderness Park.
- Principal, Program Management (3PL) Business Planning Seoul
- Senior Recruiter (Ecommerce Recruiting) HR Seoul
- Pricing Operation Associate (Price Sharpness Inspection) E-Commerce Operations Seoul