Staff Software Engineer - Back EndMountain View, California Job ID: 3090672
We are looking for people who are passionate about solving complex real-world problems, building world-class solutions, and benefitting millions of lives. At Coupang, developers learn from one another—we share knowledge and spur each other on to come up with great ideas—and move extremely fast to create profound impact together. You will also have the opportunity to tackle large-scale challenges that arise as we grow. This includes building in-house technology, innovating mobile architecture, and advancing possibilities with machine learning and deep learning. With you, we will build a world where our customers ask, “How did we ever live without Coupang?”
- Team Player
- Problem Solver
Coupang is reimagining the shopping experience with the goal of wowing each customer from the instant they open the Coupang app to the moment an order is delivered to their door.
Powered by an outstanding end-to-end e-commerce and logistics network and a fanatical culture of customer centricity, Coupang has broken tradeoffs around speed, selection and price. Today, we provide exceedingly fast shipping speeds on millions of items including fresh groceries, delivered within hours nationwide, 365 days a year.
We are doing this for millions of consumers in Korea, one of the world’s largest and fastest growing e-commerce markets. Korea is currently the 5th largest e-commerce market in the world.
We are building a product engineering team of passionate people. The team is building an inspiring search and discovery journey for Coupang customers, help our users find products easier and discover more products to live their life to the best.
We are looking for smart, passionate people who have a strong sense of ownership. If you want your work to positively impact the lives of millions of people and you are up for a change, let’s talk!
This team is a full stack team, in which there are Android, iOS, Web and Backend engineers. As the engineer of Search and Discovery Product team, you will own one of the most critical product surfaces on Coupang’s app – Search and Discovery surfaces where 60%+ of transactions happen.
What You Will Do
- Build brand new user experience product for Coupang search and discovery experience.
- Own one or several of the most critical services to make sure we are wowing customers constantly.
- Knit across teams by collaborating with Product managers and designers and other functions to build holistic experience that’s right for Coupang users.
- Lead each step of the product development process, from ideation to implementation to release; from rapidly prototyping, running A/B tests, to architecting and building solutions that can scale to support millions of users.
- Mentor and grow junior engineers on the team.
- Contribute best-in-class programming skills to develop highly innovative consumer-facing mobile products
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience with distributed systems, transactional datastores, and systems programming.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or electrical/electronic engineering, mathematics or equivalent
- 5+ years of solid work with fundamental algorithms, system design, and large distributed systems
- 5+ years of coding experience in one of the following: with: C++, Java, Scala
- Experience in building and owning critical user-facing API platform and corresponding backend data systems, and solving complex design, scaling, latency, or performance problems in high-volume low-latency distributed systems.
- Strong communication skills and great product sense.
- Strong passion for building great products.
- Strong ownership, having experience working in early startup is a plus.
- Embrace messiness, wants to be challenged with complex issues.
- Scrappy and willing to take risks.
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, transgender status), national origin, age, disability, medical condition, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, marital status, military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities, affiliations, citizenship, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Senior Software Engineer
- Software Engineering Manager
- Technical Program Manager
- Product Manager (Product Owner)
- Tech Recruiter
Benefits and Rewards
Our mission is global
Coupang is a global business with offices in Seoul, Shanghai, Beijing, Silicon Valley, Seattle and Los Angeles.
Our Korea office is located in downtown Seoul near Lotte World Hotel and Lotte World Mall.
Our office in Shanghai is conveniently situated near to restaurants and gyms, as well as to the Evergreen Hotel and the Chamtime Square Shopping Mall.
Our Beijing office is located in One Indigo, a Grade A-listed office tower. From our space on the 12th floor, you can take in expansive views of Indigo Park, the Ba River and the Beijing skyline. We are conveniently situated a few steps away from the Indigo Shopping Mall, and parking is easily available.
Mountain View, United States
Our Mountain View office is located in the Silicon Valley area across from the NASA Ames Research and Visitor Center.
Seattle, United States
Our Seattle office can be found in the heart of downtown Seattle near restaurants and tourist attractions such as the Pike Place Market.
Los Angeles, United States
Our office in Los Angeles is located in the Riverside area right next to the Sycamore Canyon Wilderness Park.