Senior Planning Manager
Seattle, United States
Coupang is one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce platforms on the planet. Our mission is to create a world in which Customers ask “How did I ever live without Coupang?” We are looking for passionate builders to help us get there. Powered by world-class technology and operations, we have set out to transform the end-to-end Customer experience -- from revolutionizing last-mile delivery to rethinking how Customers search and discover on a truly mobile-first platform. We have been named one of the “50 Smartest Companies in the World” by MIT Technology Review and “30 Global Game Changers” by Forbes.
Coupang is a global company with offices in Beijing, Los Angeles, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, and Silicon Valley.
About the role:
The Senior Merchandise Planning Manager is a key position that will facilitate accurate merchandise forecasting and inventory levels to achieve sales, margin, and turn targets. They will develop financial plans for the Global Imports business and ensure proper strategic execution. This position will drive sales and inventory reviews, weekly/monthly reporting maintenance, ad-hoc reporting, and has a strong partnership with the inventory, buying, and finance teams. They will use data to influence others and build scalable systems & processes, rather than just addressing single issues. The focus is on maximizing profitability while aligning with total company targets and customer expectations.
- Create seasonal, monthly and weekly plans and forecasts for sales, inventory, markdowns and margin. Monitor performance and partner with buying team to develop financial strategies to achieve plans
- Initiate and develop actionable analysis to recap business by category and sub-category at a top line in order to partner with buying, marketing, and inventory teams to create strategies to drive sales and profitability
- Produce weekly reports recapping sales, inventory and gross margin vs. plan and projection by department, classification and by door
- Manage and update open to buy (OTB) and project receipt flow for key items to support sales forecasts
- Communicates business recaps on a weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual basis
- Forecast promotional items and purchases by researching previous promotional results
- Process, predict and analyze product demand including specific factors relating to product promotions and seasonality
- Understand over/under forecast; work with Brand Managers and Instock Managers to make recommendations on strong and slow sellers
- Create exit strategies when replacing existing inventory with new items to reduce risk to margin and inventory goals
- Deliver ad hoc category analysis to Executive team to support special projects
- Partner with Inventory Management team to improve sell-through and optimize inventory levels to support sales and improve margin
- Analyze and react to financial, market, customer trends and formulate appropriate strategies in partnership with the cross-functional team
What we are looking for:
The ideal candidate should have previous experience in merchandise planning/supply chain/operations/inventory management as well as a background in retail or e-commerce. They must be able to work in a fast-scaling but collegial environment where teamwork is a must. The right candidate will be flexible, action & results oriented, and self-starting. They must also be decisive and able to move with speed to implement their own ideas.
- 5+ years minimum of experience in forecasting, merchandise buying, and planning
- Strong analytical abilities and problem-solving skills. Ability to work with large, complex data sets and familiarity with statistics or other analytical techniques.
- Proficiency with Excel and extracting data through varied reporting tools in order to drive and influence business decisions
- Ability to understand multiple retail business models and their technical implementation.
- Ability to prioritize work in a complex, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work with ambiguous problems.
Bonus points for:
- MBA or other relevant graduate degree
- International experience leading cross-functional projects
- SQL or another data-building experience a plus
- Bilingual in Korean
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, transgender status), national origin, age, disability, medical condition, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, marital status, military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities, affiliations, citizenship, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.