Senior Vendor Manager(Global Consumer Direct)
Seattle, United States
Senior Vendor Manager
Coupang is one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce platforms on the planet. Our mission is to create a world in which Customers ask “How did I ever live without Coupang?” We are looking for passionate builders to help us get there. Powered by world-class technology and operations, we have set out to transform the end-to-end Customer experience -- from revolutionizing last-mile delivery to rethinking how Customers search and discover on a truly mobile-first platform. We have been named one of the “50 Smartest Companies in the World” by MIT Technology Review and “30 Global Game Changers” by Forbes.
Coupang is a global company with offices in Beijing, Los Angeles, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, and Silicon Valley.
About the role:
Coupang is looking for a smart, customer obsessed, driven, and creative candidate to help us build and drive some of our largest and fastest growing categories and sub-categories. The Senior Vendor Manager will be primarily responsible for 1) setting category strategy; 2) negotiating new and direct partnerships with key brands; 3) expanding selection 4) improving business terms 4) leading key project areas that drive sustained improvements across the larger Coupang Retail organization; 5) driving the top and bottom line of the overall P&L while working closely with the Retail, Supply Chain and various other Cross-functional teams.
Some specific things you’ll work on:
- Act as the P&L and category owner for his or her respective vendors, possessing a complete understanding of internal and external variables that impact the business. This entails owning forecasting, monitoring, and reporting on suppliers, along with responsibility for driving strategic projects to achieve business objectives.
- Manage new and existing vendor relationships - manage supplier/partner contracts, manage day-to-day relationships, and consistently work to expand our selection
- Negotiate for business terms, best costs, promotional pricing and funding, and partners with the marketing team to create and sell marketing budgets
- Create business plans for new opportunities and develop and execute project plans for the launch of new products.
- Drive key projects above and beyond category ownership that will help drive sustained improvements across the larger Coupang Retail organization.
- Coordinate cross-functional teams, and communicate with internal and external parties, while meeting tight deadlines
What we’re looking for:
This candidate should have previous experience in buying/vendor management as well as a background in retail or e-commerce. They must be able to work in a highly demanding but collegial environment where teamwork is a must. The right candidate will be a self-starter, able to work with minimal direction, be flexible, action and results oriented. They must also be decisive and able to move with speed to implement their own ideas.
- 4+ years of experience in buying, product management, vendor management, retail, e-commerce
- Professional experience in negotiating with internal and external stakeholders
- Proficiency with Excel and extracting data through varied reporting tools in order to drive and influence business decisions
- Ability to understand multiple retail business models and their technical implementation.
- Ability to prioritize work in a complex, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work with ambiguous problems.
- Bachelor's degree majored in business, finance, analytical or related majors. (mathematics, computer science/engineering, statistics, economics etc.)
Bonus points for:
- Bilingual in Korean
- Recent experience with creating Tableau reports
- MBA or other relevant graduate degree
- Relevant experience in retail, operations or e-commerce.
- Proven experience leading cross-functional projects
- Experience in vendor negotiations, pricing and promotion, inventory management, and product development
- Strong communication skills - speaking, writing, presenting and negotiating
- Ability to operate simultaneously and effectively in both tactical and strategic modes
- A willingness to roll up sleeves to get things done
It is the policy of Coupang Global LLC to afford equal opportunity for employment to all individuals regardless of race, color, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, history of disability, ancestry, citizenship status, political affiliation, religion, gender, transgender, gender identity, marital status, status as a parent, sexual orientation, veteran status, genetic information or other factors prohibited by law, and to prohibit harassment or retaliation based on any of these factors.