(Senior) Principal, Procurement Infrastructure Category
Seoul, South Korea
Senior Principal / Principal, Procurement Infrastructure Category
Coupang is reimagining the shopping experience with the goal of wowing each customer from the instant they open the Coupang app to the moment an order is delivered to their door. Powered by an outstanding end-to-end e-commerce and logistics network and a fanatical culture of customer centricity, Coupang has broken tradeoffs around speed, selection and price. Today, we provide exceedingly fast shipping speeds on millions of items including fresh groceries, delivered within hours nationwide, 365 days a year. We are doing this for millions of consumers in Korea. Korea is home to one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce opportunities anywhere in the world.
This position is responsible for strategic sourcing of logistics automation categories for the logistics sector, which is Coupang's core business across the enterprise. This is an important role in Coupang's procurement transformation and must work closely with key business partners to take on ongoing challenges to drive and implement category management, strategic and operational sourcing, and supplier management activities.
In their role, successful candidates leverage traditional strategic sourcing models, including cost analysis of Coupang's logistics automation projects, short-term/long-term category planning, integration, vendor score cards, and vendor management. Coupang's sourcing process includes several steps from building a category strategy to identifying specific sourcing opportunities, bidding, contract negotiations, issuing purchase orders, and implementing them. This process includes steps such as preparing for global market research, price/cost analysis, model "costs", TCO, industry trends, product best practices, and industry benchmarking.
In addition, the company should work with related departments such as Operation, Maintenance, Hub, Design, Safety, and IT to build and maintain a global supplier base for logistics automation facilities with global supply capabilities, and achieve SCM optimization through continuous review and evaluation.
(Level of position dependent on qualifications and experience level of candidate)
What You Will Do
- Develop and implement strategies for procurement, strategic sourcing, and supply-based management of logistics automation facilities. Championing and gaining alignment with corporate and business unit management around the vision of cross-functional business unit collaboration
- Achieves targeted cost reduction results through leadership in strategic sourcing, supplier integration, continuous improvement and innovation/technology.
- Identify and drive procurement value projects, deliver total cost of ownership (TCO) value incl, cost improvement, operational efficiency, maintenance costs
- Communicates and works effectively with management at all levels within the company and its supply base
- Improve the process by identifying problems in existing processes, analyzing the causes of occurrence, and introduced solutions
- Directs and/or oversees the development/establishment and coordination of RFX Package in the assigned spend categories.
- Establish a purchasing strategy to reduce the cost of purchasing logistics automation facilities in the long term, not in the short term, and introduce an optimal purchasing solution by comprehensively considering the quality, delivery time, and cost.
- Lead commercial negotiations with suppliers to consider impact on Cost/Quality/Delivery/Support and also on desired contract needs after internal discussions
- Model and promote Coupang Leadership Principles to create an environment that mobilizes empowered people to achieve business goals.
- All duties as directed or modified.
- Degree from a top tier university with a major in finance, accounting, supply chain, business management; MBA preferred
- 10+ years of work experience in Sourcing & Supply Chain, or Procurement, preferably within Management Consulting and with a focus on indirect categories (Logistics Automation : Sorter, Conveyor, AS/RS, Robot, AGV, Other Automation Equipment / Storage: Mezzanine, Rack, MTS, etc.)
- Ability to quickly identify key stakeholders, establish and maintain strong relationships with cross-functional partners
- Ability to establish a strategic sourcing plan considering the internal and external environment, such as market conditions, supplier conditions, etc
- Negotiate vendor contracts with best in class terms and conditions that reflect specific business needs and SLAs
- Manage pipeline of multiple sourcing projects and report on costs savings
- Solid team player; can work cooperatively and effectively in a team environment
- Strong consultative / analytical / problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal / communication / negotiation skills
- Multiple category experience is a plus
- International experience and low-cost country (LCC) sourcing is a plus
- Experience with eProcurement implementations and procurement transformations is a plus
Recruitment Process and Others
- Application Review - Phone Interview – Case Study - Onsite (or Virtual Onsite) Interview – Offer
- The exact nature of the recruitment process may vary according to the specific job and may be changed due to scheduling or other circumstances.
- Interview schedules and the results will be informed to the applicant via the e-mail address submitted at the application stage.
Things to Consider
- This job posting may be closed prior to the stated end date for application if all openings are filled.
- Coupang has the right to rescind an offer of employment if a candidate is found to have submitted false information as part of the application process.
- Coupang does not discriminate against disabled applicants or those with veteran status. We are proud to offer equal opportunities for all applicants.
- Your personal information will be collected and managed by Coupang asstated in the Application Privacy Notice located below.
Document Return Policy
- This notification is given pursuant to Article 11 (6) of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- A job applicant, who has applied but not been finally selected for a position at Coupang (the “Company”), may request the Company to return his/her hiring documents submitted pursuant to the Fair Hiring Procedure Act. However, this will not apply where the hiring documents were submitted via the website of the Company or e-mail, or where the job applicant submitted those documents voluntarily without a request from the Company. In addition, if the hiring documents were destroyed due to a natural disaster or any other reasons not attributable to the Company, such documents will be deemed to have been returned to the job applicant.
- A job applicant who wishes to request the return of his/her hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above should fill out a “Request for Return of Hiring Documents” [Annex Form No. 3 in the Enforcement Rule of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act] and submit the request to the Company by email (email@example.com) In such case, within fourteen (14) days from the date of identifying the receipt of the request, the Company will send the hiring documents to the job applicant’s designated address via registered mail. Please be informed that the job applicant is required to pay the postage on the registered mail.
- In preparation for a job applicant’s request for the return of hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above, the Company shall retain the original hiring documents submitted by the job applicant for 180 days from the completion of the recruiting process. If no request is made until the end of this period, all of his/her hiring documents will be destroyed immediately in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act.