Sr. Associate General Counsel - IP
Seoul, South Korea
Coupang is a global e-commerce leader and Korea’s largest consumer internet company. Our mission is to create a world in which our customers ask, ‘How did I ever live without Coupang?’ We place our customers first and offer them the best possible prices and product selection within a highly convenient and personalized shopping environment. We are the only company in Korea that has ever raised more than $1B USD in funding. As the largest unicorn in Korea, we have received more than $3.4B in funds from notable investors like Softbank’s Vision Fund, BlackRock, and Sequoia Capital. Korea is currently the 5th largest e-commerce market in the world at $80B; expected to increase to $146B by 2023, becoming the 3rd largest market in the world following China and the US. Coupang delivers over a million parcels each day to customers across South Korea, and dominates the marketplace because of our foundation focused on the “last mile” delivery to the customer. We are continually looking for passionate builders who can work with us to fulfill our goals.
- Manage the global trademark portfolio, including trademark clearance, prosecution and enforcement.
- Provide legal advice on all IP matters including trademark, copyright, domain name and social media issues.
- Design, develop and implement a Company-wide, global trademark and brand protection program to systematically identify, capture, protect, commercialize and enforce our trademarks and brands.
- Develop, implement and enforce Company-wide IP and brand policies and procedures including:
- Working with marketing and product development teams on proper trademark and brand usage, via the establishment of style guides, and proper usage guides.
- Copyright matters
- Classification system for existing and new trademarks
- Policies regarding branding for new goods/services and new geographies/markets
- Enforcement policies covering monitoring, demand letters and oppositions.
- Trademark selection and clearance policies
- Brand/trademark licensing and co-branding
- Social media branding including employee social media policies
- Counterfeit risk mitigation policies
- Parallel importing policies
- Lead the development and implementation of trademark and brand training programs for business leads, and build awareness of the trademark and brand protection program across the Company.
- Lead the response to IP infringement claims, including responding to cease/desist letters and other actions.
- Lead the enforcement of the Company’s IP assets including trademarks, copyright, domains, and patents.
- Negotiate and draft settlement, coexistence, assignment and license agreements.
- Provide support on open source software risk management – including developing policies and procedures relating to use, distribution and licensing of open source software.
- Work together with various Coupang teams as required to provide IP support e.g. business teams, and support teams including engineering and developer teams, brand and marketing, Finance, Procurement, Security & Privacy.
- Manage outside counsel retained to provide legal services.
- Legal qualification in US, Korea or a common law jurisdiction (e.g., England/Wales, Australia, Singapore).
- Fluency in English or Korean (or both).
- At least 8-12 years of post-qualification legal experience. A mixture of law firm and in-house experience is preferred.
- Exceptional ability to consistently deliver creative, thoughtful and business-oriented results that appropriately balance growth and risk in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment.
- Ability to adapt easily to rapid and diverse business changes.
- Strong and effective communication skills, both oral and written.
- Sound judgment in developing and implementing legal solutions.
- E-commerce industry experience.