Senior Associate General Counsel - Sanctions
Seoul, South Korea
*Korean version will follow English*
Coupang is one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce platforms on the planet. Our mission is to create a world in which Customers ask “How did I ever live without Coupang?” We are looking for passionate builders to help us get there. Powered by world-class technology and operations, we have set out to transform the end-to-end Customer experience -- from revolutionizing last-mile delivery to rethinking how Customers search and discover on a truly mobile-first platform. We have been named one of the “50 Smartest Companies in the World” by MIT Technology Review and “30 Global Game Changers” by Forbes. Coupang is a global company with offices in Beijing, Los Angeles, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai and Silicon Valley.
The Legal & Compliance department is responsible for the prevention, detection, and mitigation of compliance, regulatory and reputational risks across the company. You will join a team of five attorneys and compliance officers (both Korean and foreign trained). Your role will be focused on providing economic and trade sanctions and anti-bribery and corruption subject matter expertise across the company. We are continually looking for passionate builders who can work with us to fulfill our goals.
- Sanctions subject matter expertise: Be responsible for providing day-to-day legal and compliance expertise on all matters relating to economic and trade sanctions – for both legal and business teams. This will include proactively managing Coupang’s compliance with, and monitoring of changes to, applicable laws and regulations (e.g. FCPA, UKBA, OFAC-administered sanctions, and applicable Korean laws and regulations).
- Policy development and implementation: Lead the implementation and continuous improvement of Coupang’s economic and trade sanctions, and anti-bribery and corruption, This will include continuing to develop relevant processes and procedures such as: (i) implementing due diligence requirements into third party onboarding and monitoring processes including designing risk assessment rules for applying basic and enhanced due diligence, (ii) ongoing screening of third parties e.g. against external sources including sanctions lists, adverse media, and politically-exposed persons lists and providing sound judgement in match validity, and (iii) developing country of origin controls for products listed on the eCommerce platform (with a focus on marketplace and third party sellers).
- Collaboration: Work closely and collaboratively with internal business partners including FinTech/Payments (AML compliance), Global Procurement, Finance, and eCommerce on projects and company-wide initiatives. Demonstrate hands on experience but also the ability to handle and manage projects with other members of the team. Manage outside counsel retained to provide legal services and advice on industry best practices.
- Technology and data: Lead the roll-out and implementation of technology solutions and databases designed to support compliance. This will include screening tools and document retention requirements.
- Training and awareness: Build company-wide awareness of, and provide training to employees across, economic and trade sanctions and anti-bribery and corruption compliance.
- At least 8-10+ years of post-qualification legal experience. In-house experience is preferred.
- Strong subject matter expertise in key global sanctions laws and regulations (e.g. FCPA, UKBA, and OFAC-administered sanctions).
- Exceptional ability to consistently deliver creative, thoughtful and business-oriented results that appropriately balance growth and risk in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment.
- A willingness to learn voraciously and take on new scope and challenges.
- Ability to adapt easily to rapid and diverse business changes.
- Strong and effective communication skills, both oral and written.
- Sound judgment in developing and implementing legal solutions.
- Experience in performing a similar role in the eCommerce, retail or financial services industries.